Wednesday 31 March 2010

Compost

I am aware that a lot of people have posted about how to compost. For me though, it has never been about getting the right mix of browns and greens. I have two darlek style composters down at the allotment and they have been, with a little bit of coaxing, producing some reasonable compost. Where I have been going wrong is with the actual potential quantity and the transportation of scraps to the allotment. What I'm saying is I could have produced much, much more. If only........ now here is the confession, if only it didn't rot in the corner of the kitchen while waiting for transportation to the allotment. I often collect stuff and think I'll pop down with that after the school run tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it often just doesn't happen. A smelly bucket just becomes too much to cope with so I then I just chuck it in the brown bin for the council.


So meet my solution, my new composter neatly installed in an overgrown part of my garden. I won't be wasting so much good compostable waste now. A few small steps from the back door and hey presto. I just need to restart my supply of chicken poo from the neighbours. Happy composting ahead of me, I think.

3 comments:

Jo said...

I do exactly the same. When I got my allotment, I considered moving my dalek bin from the garden down there. I'm so glad I didn't now, or else I would be throwing my compostable waste away too. It all sounds easy enough to pop down to the allotment to take the waste, but in reality, it just doesn't happen.

HappyMouffetard said...

Oh, that rings so true!

Damo said...

you're right, if it's more than a few yards from the kitchen it won't happen.